Suzie is Head of Australian Business Lawyers & Advisor's Newcastle Corporate + Commercial team and specialises in Corporate & Commercial law.
Winner of Private Practice Lawyer of The Year 2019, Suzie draws on her previous experience as a corporate and commercial lawyer at a top-tier Sydney law firm, and as in-house Legal Counsel for a global gaming company, to provide her clients with quality legal advice that is commercially focused and solutions-oriented.
A senior member of the corporate and commercial team, Suzie has acted for clients across a broad range of sectors, including IT, health and medical, hotels, tourism, gaming, horse racing, mining, property development, construction, stevedoring, manufacturing, food and beverage, property funds, financial services, receivers and managers, and not-for profit organisations.
Suzie is known for her commercial insight into the extensive range of risks and legal issues facing organisations, and the importance of maximising revenue while minimising risk to the business. She sits on a number of not for profit boards and committees and is passionate about assisting companies and their boards, directors, company secretaries and key business stakeholders comply with their corporate governance and compliance obligations, as well as taking care of the legal details to get deals done in a commercial and cost effective manner.
Suzie is accustomed to assisting clients in heavily regulated industries, with an ability to complete highly complex legal tasks in innovative ways while maintaining compliance with regulatory and legislative requirements. She is known for being a trusted advisor to her clients, with a commercial, down to earth and responsive approach and experience in a broad range of areas, including:
- Business Transactions - business sales and acquisitions, corporate structuring and start-ups, shareholder, joint venture and partnership agreements
- Corporate Advisory - corporate governance including corporations law and directors duties
- Commercial Contracts – day to day and complex commercial contracts, such as: confidentiality agreements, supply and distribution agreements, licensing arrangements, IT contracts, maintenance and support contracts, exclusive and non-exclusive distribution agreements, business terms and conditions of sale, sponsorship agreements, import/export and manufacturing arrangements, service agreements, including advising clients on termination of contracts and resolution of commercial disputes
- IT & Intellectual Property - licensing arrangements, intellectual property protection including trade marks, copy right and enforcement
- Regulatory Compliance – competition and consumer issues, privacy laws, cyber security, liquor licensing, gaming
- Property – commercial property and leasing matters.
Her breadth of experience across multiple areas of law and commercial acumen uniquely enables her to be a complete outsourced ‘legal counsel’ - identifying and protecting her clients from a broad range of risks and legal issues while keeping commercial goals at the forefront of all advice.
Suzie is a member of Australian Institute of Company Directors, Governance Institute of Australia, The Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators, The Law Society of NSW, Newcastle Law Society, Women Lawyers Association of NSW (Newcastle Chapter Committee Member), Lake Macquarie Business Limited (former Director & Company Secretary), Hunter Business Chamber, Hunter Young Professionals, Newcastle Business Club, Hunter Young Business Mind Awards (Board Member).
Suzie was awarded Private Practice Lawyer of the Year 2019 at the NSW Women Lawyers Achievement Awards, Finalist at the 2018 Australian Law Awards Regional/Suburban Lawyer of the Year, 2018 & 2019 Newcastle Business Club Awards Finalist, 2014 Hunter Business Chamber Young Business Executive Award; the 2013 Law and Justice Foundation of NSW, Community Legal Centres NSW Award; and 2014 and 2015 Pro bono Partnership Award; and the 2015 Governance Institute Award for Dux in Corporate Governance - Diploma of Applied Corporate Governance.