Julian has considerable and long-standing expertise in Australia and overseas. He advises public and private sector clients as well as individuals. For around 25 years he has advised clients across a wide range of industry sectors with respect to their corporate, commercial and other business needs. Julian is well known for his experience in communications, media and technology as well as other intellectual property rich sectors.
He has been previously recognised by the Australian and international editions of Who’s Who Legal
as a world leading practitioner in IT, media and technology.
Julian has a commercial and pragmatic approach to problem-solving, helping clients across a broad range of areas, including:
- incorporation and establishment; joint ventures; strategic collaborations; reorganisations and complex structuring; project development; mergers and acquisitions as well as divestments;
- wide range of business as usual and complex contracting, such as: sales; distribution; technology transfer; licensing and IP exploitation; outsourcing; agency; franchise; specialist communications, media and technology contracting; advertising; import and export; sponsorship and procurement;
- fundraising (public and private) including: private equity and venture capital; IPOs; debt facilities, loan arrangements; and taking security;
- regulatory and compliance; corporate governance and secretarial
- independent contractor, director and partner arrangements and agreements; incentivisation scheme arrangements and shareholder relationships
- conflict resolution including mediation and negotiation
He joined the firm in 2011. He was previously a corporate partner at top tier national firm Gilbert + Tobin where he spent 3 years.
Julian was also a partner at international commercial law firm Bird & Bird where he spent 11 years, initially in London and then in Hong Kong for 5 years, heading up the corporate and commercial practice in the Asia Pacific region.