Emily commenced her employment with Australian Business Lawyers & Advisors in September 2016.
Admitted to practice in South Australia in May 2010, the majority of her post‑admission legal career has specialised in employment law for businesses and individuals in both South Australia and now in New South Wales.
She has acted for employers in a range of industries, including retail, education, real estate, manufacturing, insurance, social welfare organisations, the not-for-profit sector, and many types of medium enterprise businesses.
With a background working for State and Federal Members of Parliament, she is particularly interested in the political and legislative framework of employment law in Australia as an area of the law that is challenging and subject to amendment as Governments change.
Emily’s experience includes:
- preparing and reviewing employment contracts and other workplace documentation including HR policies and procedures, and incentive plans;
- defending unfair dismissal and general protections applications on behalf of employers;
- advising on proposed redundancies and termination payments;
- advising on the enforceability of restraint of trade provisions in employment contracts and assisting to draft such clauses;
- assisting employers with the transfer of business provisions under the Fair Work Act; and
- assisting and advising on workplace investigations resulting from allegations of serious misconduct and sexual harassment.
Emily holds a Bachelor of Laws and Legal Practice from Flinders University and is currently studying the Master of Labour Law and Relations at Sydney University.