The workplace and employment team at ABLA are recognised by peers and industry as leaders in the field.
Recently recognised by peers in two prestigious awards, the team have gained an enviable reputation for success, claiming the following awards;
The team of experts work with customers to find commercial solutions and manage risk in the following practice areas:
As leaders in employment law, ABLA can assist your business in running the entire gamut of employee requirements, from recruitment and on-boarding, to dismissal or retirement. Our experts provide service and advice of the highest standard, whether it’s a quick HR query or assistance with an entire corporate restructure.
ABLA can simplify your dealings with your employees, from contractors to directors, offering practical legal advice and solutions designed to keep your business compliant and productive at all times.
Our team can help you with a wide range of employment and workplace law topics, including:
- award servicing and interpretation
- terminations, dismissals and redundancies
- enforcement of restraints
- employment contract preparation
- performance management cycle
- enterprise agreements and bargaining
- work, health and safety
- workplace audits and investigations.
As a legal service provider servicing businesses only, ABLA specialises in employment law from an employer’s viewpoint, giving you an important edge when bringing the matter to ABLA.
Our experts can offer customers a wealth of experience and insights, policies and procedures when managing tricky issues such as paid parental leave, social media policies and flexible work arrangements, all from the perspective of an employer.
ABLA can also help customers avert a problem before it becomes serious. Contact us for advice as early as you can, and we’ll coach you on how to manage the situation and limit your exposure. If the situation does progress, the team will help ease the load, assisting you with issues relating to unfair dismissal, unlawful termination and breach of contract.
Visit our Resources page for more insights on employment and workplace matters. Sign up below and get invitations to webcast events where you and the team can upskill at the comfort of your desk.
Here's a quick five minute chat with Nigel Ward and Joe Murphy on redundancy and what the role of HR is in this tricky process.
Contact Joe Murphy or Luis Izzo on 1300 565 846 and let ABLA help you succeed in business.
ABLA is uniquely placed to assist you with industrial relations issues. Our team has substantial experience advising employers to resist unlawful industrial action through proceedings in courts and tribunals. Our broad experience as both lawyers and industrial relations advisers across many industries allows us to obtain commercially prudent resolutions to industrial problems – a strategic advantage when we are part of your team.
Our work in maintaining around 70 awards on behalf of the members of the NSW Business Chamber means we provide you with a comprehensive service.
We assist clients with enterprise bargaining through:
Download interest-based bargaining e-guide.
- development of enterprise agreement goals
- formulation of negotiation plans
- negotiation of agreements
- handling of disputation during negotiations
- drafting of enterprise agreements
- registration of agreements.
Employment relations planning services
We will help establish and implement an employee relations plan to manage the employment relations challenges for new businesses or businesses undergoing substantial change. We provide assistance to in-house human resource and employment relations specialists to maintain and revise employment relations strategies, policies and procedures.
We offer workplace audits, which provide a valuable diagnostic tool to human resource managers and employment relations specialists.
Underpayment and award compliance issues
ABLA has substantial experience assessing and defending allegations by employees and trade unions of the underpayment of employment entitlements. Our experience allows us to respond in a cost effective manner to underpayment claims.
Our services in this area include:
- determining the application of awards and agreements to particular businesses/workplaces
- undertaking workplace audits to determine whether time and wage systems comply with legal requirements
- advising on allegations of underpayment, including determining assessments of potential liability towards employees
- appearing in industrial tribunals in response to allegations of underpayment of entitlements
- assisting employers to defend proceedings for the recovery of alleged underpayments.
Disputes arise in a range of circumstances, whether it be in the course of enterprise bargaining negotiations, or otherwise. Our significant experience in this area enables us to assist you to resolve disputes by negotiation, conciliation and, if necessary, arbitration.
To discuss your industrial relations concerns, call Luis Izzo or Dianne Hollyoak on 1300 565 846 today.
Work, health and safety
ABLA has a leading Work, Health and Safety (WHS) legal team headed by Alan Girle. The team has extensive experience in acting for both private and public sector clients in WHS compliance matters, regulatory investigations, coronial inquests and prosecutions by regulators across NSW and Australia.
All business owners have responsibilities regarding health and safety in the workplace, not just for employees but also for customers and the public. Governments take work health and safety (WHS) legislation extremely seriously and are quick to enforce health and safety breaches and prosecute non-compliance.
The most effective way to avoid costly and damaging incidents is to ensure risk is properly managed and all legal requirements are met. That includes planning and producing tailored health and safety guidelines for your business and regular training to ensure all employees are aware of their rights, responsibilities, duties and obligations.
Alan also regularly conducts training courses and webcasts surrounding WHS which you can view here.
Whatever business you're in, creating a safe work environment is the most important investment you can make.
Our experts in WHS law can guide you through some simple steps that will allow you to concentrate your efforts as well as help your business to be prepared in all situations.
- How will you meet your most basic WHS obligations to provide safe premises, machinery, equipment and systems of work?
- How do you establish these systems and ensure that all employees are fully trained and regularly updated?
- Can you be sure that proper supervision is in place at all times?
- What do you do when new staff commence? Is induction adequate?
- Are all facilities and working environments up to expected safety standards?
- What rights do union officials and workplace inspectors have?
We help businesses across a diverse range of industry sectors answer these questions every day. Our WHS lawyers have decades of experience and in-depth knowledge in workplace health and safety and are recognised nationally as among the best in the field. Listen to the top tips from Alan Girle in this one hour webinar.
Responding quickly to workplace incidents to protect your business
Our experts in WHS law can also guide you in the event of a serious workplace incident. We can help you focus on the things that really matter, so that your business can recover as quickly as possible.
- Who should you notify following a workplace incident?
- What are your rights when you are being interviewed by government investigators?
- How should you conduct your own investigation?
- What do you need to do to ensure that any failings you find remain confidential?
- What do you do if you are charged?
- What can you do to support injured workers or their families without getting into trouble?
We regularly help businesses get back into production following workplace incidents. Our WHS lawyers are experienced in rapidly investigating, managing regulators and achieving resolutions.
We advise business, often at short notice, to resolve disputes and protect their business interests. We defend urgent applications, conduct workplace investigations, attend critical incidents and deal with industrial action as a corporate ‘first responder.’
Our experience tells us - a safe workplace is productive and prosperous.
Download the Work Health and Safety flyer.
Minimise risk and review your WHS obligations today - call Alan Girle on 1300 565 846.
Workplace investigations represent a significant risk and liability to your organisation if not carried out the right way. One of the common mistakes employers make is not getting a third party involved from the beginning. The team at ABLA have the experience required in handling these sensitive incidents, providing advice, facilitation or mediation.
ABLA works with employers to prevent and minimise the impact that a workplace investigation can bring to a business. Our team knows the importance of a fair investigation that will hold up in court, and as a mission based organisation, ABLA focusses on the best outcome for your business at all times.
ABLA can offer you:
- Scope analysis – what needs investigating
- Interviews – independent and insightful
- Evidence – gather, review and assess
- Analyse – identify missing pieces
- Report – concise findings and recommendations
- Review – HR processes
Workplace Procedures Reviews
- Audit on workplace procedures to align with compliance obligations
- Post-incident strategic review
Workplace Investigations Training
- Inhouse training for HR professionals, business owners and senior managers
- Induction training for senior managers
Engaging ABLA in an investigation will provide peace of mind around impartiality and give you confidence the case will hold up in court.
Learn more and listen to this one hour webinar on best practice for Workplace Investigations.
Download the Workplace Investigations flyer.
Call today for a complimentary workplace investigations consultation - speak to Luis Izzo or Joe Murphy on 1300 565 846.
ABLA has an enviable access to capability across the whole people spectrum; employment law, IR, ER and HR - the synergies are obvious.
Where businesses require assistance for specific HR projects, the highly experienced ABLA team of consultants have the expertise to ensure that your project is completed successfully and on-time. In the HR space our experience is hands-on and covers not-for profit through to leading ASX companies.
ABLA concentrate on:
- Change management for acquisitions, divestment, improvement programs and cost reduction programs
- Design and implementation of effective recruitment, on-boarding and talent management processes
- Organisational design and developing structures to support businesses as they evolve
- Remuneration, incentive and benefits strategies
- Improving performance management processes and capability
- Workplace culture and employee engagement strategies, including workplace communication
- Recognition schemes
- Organisational development strategies
- Critical issue workforce planning
- Talent identification and succession planning
- Employee retention strategies
- Simple documented HRMS to lock in practice and process
- HR systems
- Workplace policies and procedures, ensuring compliance with the workplace relations framework
We understand that there is no single workplace solution that can be applied to every business. Instead, our services are tailored to find the right solution, where we take into account the following to ensure your business goals are met:
- Scale of the business
- Financial capacity
- Commercial objectives
- Operational needs
The ABLA team are disciplined and use project management methodologies to ensure that projects are delivered in stages. This helps ensure that projects meet the expectations of clients, and that projects are delivered seamlessly.
Project teams can work on-site, remotely, or a combination of both. If needed, project teams can be embedded within a business to implement change. With experts in industrial relations, the ABLA team can ensure that relevant legal obligations are considered when completing HR projects.
For a confidential discussion about your HR consulting needs, contact Nigel Ward on 1300 565 846.